THE GARIBALDI NEWSLETTER
Welcome to this special edition of The Garibaldi Newsletter.
We’ve taken the time to try a new format as we want to mark the passing of the pandemic and talk about how we’re looking forward.
First of all, a brief look back: The pandemic. We’ve all had a rough couple of years and many of us are still getting used again to the freedoms we used to take for granted. The Garibaldi
has sprung back with gusto and it’s lovely to see some old and new regulars helping to make this community asset viable.
…Speaking of which, August will see our fifth birthday. Thank you to all for your support so far. We’ll continue doing all we can to make that support worthwhile.
With that in mind, a lot has gone on and will continue to go on. The pub’s looking great inside, having had a re-fresh courtesy of some of those who are regularly on the right side of the bar. Summer’s almost upon us, and we’ve also put a lot of time into making the best of the garden. Many hands make light work, and if you want to help there in any way just let the bar staff know.
We plan to have live music at the end of every month, as well as on special occasions as and when these arise. For example, the celebrations of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee will take place over the extended weekend of Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June, and we’ll have live music then — as well as our usual awesome mix of guest ales and street food.
We’ve a lot going on, and there’s always space to do more. Again, bring your ideas with you when you pop in for a drink. And some food. And some good company. We do our best to make this a good place, and we’re glad you enjoy it, but it’s you who actually make it. Thanks again for being here.
Shiv and the team.
An Asset of Community Value has to serve its community, and we’ve instituted the Forces Fry-Up. This takes place on the third Saturday morning of each month and is aimed at serving military personnel and veterans.
The Forces Fry-Up is intended to provide a benign social environment for those of similar backgrounds, as well as a gateway to help for those who need it. We’re already seeing realistic numbers of people turning up but it would be useful if people could continue to spread the word. We provide a full English breakfast for £5, and a bottomless pot of tea or coffee.
That still leaves several other free Saturday mornings in a month; if anyone wants to set up something similar for other groups, let’s have a chat about it!
There are monthly brewery tours which you can sign up for — we’ll be running those on the same Saturday of each month as the Forces Fry-Up. And there’s the meat raffle every Sunday. And the quiz… and the music bingo…
But don't forget, there are lots of other ways you can get involved and help:
- The ‘Grow Your Own’ initiative is live, and seeds are available in our bay window. Just become part of the Gari Community network by taking on some seeds, soil and trays to get growing on your windowsills.
- Watering rota – Sarah is looking for people to help her with watering the garden as we move towards summer. If you are able to help during the day, please add your name to a list at the bar and Sarah will get in touch.
- Please do show us support for our goal to buy the pub via ‘Your Fund Surrey – Join The Local Conversation’.
- Further cost-free support for your local is also available via EasyFundRaising– over 6,000 retailers will donate to us when you shop via the site which really help. Thanks to ongoing participants who helped raise just under £66 over the last quarter.
- The Garibaldi Pub One Lottery! Tickets still only £1 a week with cash prizes and one lucky winner could win up to £25,000 – please gamble responsibly!
- The Tesco Community Grant closed on Thu 31 Mar – We are pleased to announce we have been awarded £500 towards our garden.